World of India!: EtcEtc: Want a girl friend? Join a gym! e

World of India!

Fire at will.
)

EtcEtc: Want a girl friend? Join a gym!

Way before (italics deliberate) I got married, some one had asked me what was the best way to get a girl friend fast. Not that I was an expert, but common sense and some quick thinking enabled me to advice him that he should join a gym. My thesis was that gym would be a conducive atmosphere to formulate friendships because of many reasons:

- its a intensely physical environment and therefore people drop their usual 'intellectual' posturings and other asssorted defences.

- people in the gym share common goals (like reducing weight for example)

- common goals and a shared effort lead to open communication and encouragement for each other to achieve these goals, leading to lasting friendships.

I never joined a gym myself, except to maybe to visit friends exercising, a few times. So I could never test this theory myself. So imagine my joy when I read
this piece in The Guardian today, which backs up my theory.

Which leads me to another interesting question.What is the accuracy with which a layman can give reasonably correct answers to questions which can be conclusively answered only by the rigor of research? In other words, how far should you trust your instinct and theories and act on them, without going to the trouble of research. The answer of course has enormous implications, particularly in the area of entreprenuership, where the entreprenuer often does not have the benefit of undertaking (due to many constraints)/ is not inclined to take the effort to undertake a systematic market research, on many a question,but needs to take a decision, nevertheless.
Malcolm Gladwell should know the answer to that one.

Links to this post:

You can skip to the end and leave a response.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment