World of India!: Food&Drink : Why President Hu would go hungry in India? e

World of India!

Fire at will.
)

Food&Drink : Why President Hu would go hungry in India?

Amit Varma wrote here on the Chinese President Hu being fed Chicken Manchurian. He says "This is really good," I can imagine President Hu saying as he bites into it. "I never knew Indian cuisine could be so tasty. Different from ours, but good nevertheless."

Tough luck, buddy. No chance in high heaven of any Chinese ever praising what passes for Chinese, that we get in India. We regularly used to get visitors from China to our office in India and after endless carping about food that I heard through other sources, I decided to take matters in my hand. First I sent them to a well known restaurant in Pune, 'Malacca Spice' ,whose founder has traveled all over the far east, during her youth and claims to have "authentic" far eastern food on their menu. The China men went there and their unanimous verdict- "No No good food". Desperate, I sent them to 'Mainland China', this time with a sub-ordinate, thinking maybe communication problems with waiters are getting in the way of them getting good service . Next day, I asked them how the food was.After all 'Mainland China' was authentic in my books, the way I knew it (I hadn't sampled the food in Hong Kong and Bangkok, at that time). With crestfallen faces they declared " No No Chinese food this, this no real Chinese".

So what about Mainland China's campaign claim of it being a "specialty fine dining restaurant". Feed that to an army of hungry Chinamen, I sayyy!

Links to this post:

You can skip to the end and leave a response.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

November 22, 2006 5:25 PM

you make it seem bangkok is in china!!!! its in thailand and its thai food.    



November 22, 2006 5:43 PM

did i?hmmm...i was talking about bangkok in the context of far eastern food..    



November 22, 2006 10:01 PM

The problem with authentic chinese food is that it needs to be boiled completely.
Chinese food is relatively tasteless compared to the Indian version. Indians need that extra bit of spice. All the time.    



November 23, 2006 12:56 PM

In India, we are only served Punjabi-Chinese food. Indians are unable to eat only boiled food, and it would be an economic disaster to open a restaurant in India that doesn't fry the food.    



November 30, 2006 8:58 AM

What amazes me is when all the Indians in the US/Canada complain about real Chinese food and drive hours to get a taste of 'Indian' Chinese food. There are a bunch of these in Canada and they're opening up in the US as well.    



October 04, 2007 11:01 AM

I love authentic chinese food and try my best to visit one of the nearby 'chinese outposts', mostly Singapore a few times every year, just for the food. Having said that, I find Indian chinese emerging as a global cuisine. A few months ago, I was on a cruise ship in the caribbean and was quite amazed to see a food counter actually titled 'Indian chinese'.    



» Post a Comment