World of India!: Travellerr :Baht or Beer? e

World of India!

Fire at will.
)

Travellerr :Baht or Beer?

During my recent visit to Hong Kong and Bangkok, I had the opportunity to try some far eastern beers. I do this religiously every time I travel abroad and the rewards have been significant - frequent visits to the toilet and a beer belly to boot. I am a 'Beer' man- always have been. Although, since some time now, I have been giving other drinks a try often on. But ultimately like a man's first love, you can never give up your drink of first choice!

Hong Kong and Bangkok yielded a rich treasure. I tanked up on Chiang, Lee, Asahi Dry, Singha, Heineken, Carlsberg along with some red wine and Hennessey to round things off. Drinking Lee turned out to be a rather risky affair. It so happened that I was strolling in Chatuchak Market in Bangkok (which is perhaps the best street market one can go in the world, spread over 35 acres!), when I tried to buy Lee Beer from a street vendor. I was promptly pounced on by a Police office, for god knows what. He confiscated 40 Thai Bahts from me and also 'forgot' to return me the beer. Unfortunately for him, I did not understand his wish that I slink away without protest and I insisted he either return my Baht or my Beer! This public finger pointing seem to have embarrassed him (which makes Thai police a notch more decent than Indian) and he returned my money, but importantly held on to the LEE beer. He could easily have returned me the beer and kept the money but he didn’t. I said "Thank You", which he acknowledged, being a nice man that he was. The experience left me feeling shaky, particularly because he took down my address in Bangkok and passport details. But the night went off without any incident...

Moral of the story? Even the Thai Police like their beer more than their Baht!

My resolve to carry on with my research in beer is still strong though. Does anyone have any strong opinions on the beer brands they like and suggestions as to what to drink and what to avoid? Or for that matter, anything they want to say about Beer.Readers around the world of this bog are invited to contribute their two pints. The only request from my side is to also talk about yourt Local/regional/national beer(if possible) and not just stick to global brands of repute.

Cheers!

Links to this post:

You can skip to the end and leave a response.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

August 12, 2006 4:05 PM

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»    



August 14, 2006 7:09 AM

Thank u!Keep coming back for a 'Dekko'.    



» Post a Comment