World of India!: PopularCulture : Blogging as Communication e

World of India!

Fire at will.
)

PopularCulture : Blogging as Communication

Sarang has given me a "hyperbolic" introduction!!!

Blogging is the phenomenon, at least for people on the right side of the digital divide. I think it stems from this atavistic and existential desire for immortality. When human beings made the shift from being primarily "oral" cultures, to one of "visual" cultures, through the development of writing, mankind realised that for the first time, it was possible to leave a lasting impression and therefore become immortal. Noone knows when and where the shift first occurred, but writing is relatively new in the history of manking, maybe about 4000 years or so. The paradox of the blog is that unlike "real" writing, which leaves a relatively permanent impression on a fixed and tangible medium, blogging like all communication in the digital age, only gives the illusion of tangibility, as what we see as "real" is only a fast moving stream of electrons. and not writing as on a piece of paper, papyrus, or stone. The search for immortality therefore is only an illusion through the means of blogging.

It is no wonder, that most blogs are banal, trivial, superficial, and at best insincere. The blogger thinks that jotting down random thoughts, or attempting a representation of inner mental states in some sense, promotes meaning and understanding. The intangibility of the medium, leads to laziness, since the possibility of eternal rewrites and corrections exist. Unlike writing, the work can never be finished, and hence the need to churn out copious quantities of content, distinguished but its trite banality. I hate blogs, and bloggers. Now you may ask, why am I doing the same?

Well the answer is that I am not blogging, but instead writing. Ha, ha, what is the difference?
Well, for one, I think I have a structure to my musings, and it is not random in any sense of the word. Also I feel no need to bore the world with my comments on a regular basis. When I feel the urge to build a responsive relationship understanding with myself primarily, and whosever might be interested, I will write.

Until then, let silence be our guide.

Post contributed by- 'Doc'

Links to this post:

Create a Link

You can skip to the end and leave a response.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment